Combined Defence services Examination (II), 2016
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has published notification to conduct Combined Defence Service (CDS) Examination (II), 2016 (Including SSC Women (Non-Technical) Course) under Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, Air Force Academy and Officers Training Academy.
UPSC CDS (II) Exam 2016
CDS Exam or Combined Defence Service Examination is an exam conducted twice every year by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). It is an exam to induct officers into the Indian Defence Forces i.e. the Army and the Air force.
A Combined Defence Services Examination will be conducted by the Union Public Service Commission on 23rd October 2016 for admission to the under mentioned Courses :
UPSC CDS (II) Vacancy Details
Total No of Posts: 413
Name of the Post: Combined Defence Service Examination (II), 2016 (Including SSC Women (Non-Technical) Course)
- Indian Military Academy, Dehradun 143rd Course commencing in July 2017 [including 19 vacancies reserved for NCC 'C' Certificate (Army Wing) holders] - 150 vacancies
- Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala course commencing in July 2017 Executive (General Service) (including 06 vacancies reserved for NCC 'C' Certificate holders (Naval Wing) - 45 vacancies
- Air Force Academy, Hyderabad (Pre-Flying) Training Course commencing in July 2017 i.e. - 32 vacancies
- Officers Training Academy, Chennai 106th SSC Course (for Men) communing in October 2017 - 175 vacancies
- Officers Training Academy, Chennai 20th SSC Women (Non-Technical) Course commencing October 2017- 11 vacancies
- The date of holding the examination as mentioned above is liable to be changed at the discretion of the Commission
- The number of vacancies given above is tentative and may be changed at any state by Service Head Quarter
Since women candidates are eligible for OTA only, they should give OTA as their first and only preference
If a male candidate is competing for Short Service Commission (Army) only, he should indicate OTA as the one and only choice
However, a male candidate competing for short service commission course at OTA as well as permanent commission course at IMA, Indian Naval Academy and Air Force Academy should indicate OTA as his last preference otherwise OTA will be deemed to be the last choice even if it is given a higher preference by the candidate
Agartala, Gangtok, Panaji (Goa), Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Patna, Aizawl, Imphal, Port Blair, Allahabad, Itanagar, Raipur, Bangalore, Jaipur, Ranchi, Bareilly, Jammu, Sambalpur, Bhopal, Jorhat, Shillong, Chandigarh, Kochi, Shimla, Chennai, Kohima, Srinagar, Cuttack, Kohima, Srinagar, Kolkata, Thiruvananthapuram, Dehradun, Lucknow, Delhi, Madurai, Tirupati, Dharwar, Mumbai, Udaipur, Dispur, Nagpur, Vishakhapatnam
Nationality: A candidates must either be:
- a Citizen of India, or
- a subject of Bhutan, or
- a subject of Nepal, or
- a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently setting in India, or
a person of India origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently setting in India. Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (ii), (iii),
(iv) and (v) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Govt of India
Certificate of eligibility will, however, not be necessary in the case of candidates who are Gorkha subjects of Nepal
A candidates in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary, may be admitted to the examination provisionally subject to the necessary certificate being given to him/her by the Govt. before declaration of result by UPSC
Age Limits, Sex and Marital Status:
- For Indian Military Academy (IMA): Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 02nd July 1993 and not later than 1st July 1998 only are eligible
- For Indian Naval Academy (INA): Unmarried Male candidates born not earlier than 2nd July 1993 and not later than 01st July 1998 only are eligible
For Air Force Academy (AFA):Age: 20 to 24 years as on 01st July 2017 i.e. born not earlier than 02nd July 1993 and not later than 01 July 1997 (Upper age limit for candidates holding valid and current Commercial Pilot Licence issued by DGCA (India) is relaxable upto 26 yrs. i.e. born not earlier than 02nd July 1991 and not later than 01st July 1997) only are eligible
Note: Candidate below 25 years of age must be unmarried. Marriage is not permitted during training. Married candidates above 25 years of age are eligible to apply but during training period they will neither be provided married accommodation nor can they live out with family.
- For Officers Training Academy (SSC Course for Men): Male candidates (married or unmarried) born not earlier than 02nd July 1992 and not later than 01st July 1998 only are eligible
For Officer Training Academy (SSC Women Non-Technical Course): Unmarried Women, issueless widows who have not remarried and issueless divorces (in possession of divorce documents) who have not remarried are eligible. They should have been born not earlier than 2nd July, 1992 and not later than 1st July, 1998.
- For Indian Military Academy / Officers’ Training Academy: Degree from a recognized university or equivalent
- For Indian Naval Academy: Bachelor of Engineering
- For Air Force Academy: Degree of a recognized University with Physics and Mathematics at 10+2 level or Bachelor of Engineering
Graduates with first choice as Army/Navy/Air Force are to submit proof of graduation provisional certificates on the date of commencement of the SSB Interview at the SSB.
For CDS exam, applicants can be from any stream but for entry to Air Force and Navy, candidates should have studied physics and maths up to Class 12
Candidates who are studying in the final year degree course and have yet to pass the final year degree examination can also apply but they will be required to subject proof of passing the degree examination to reach the Army Head Quarter/Rtd CDSE Entry, West Bloc III, R.K. Puram, New Delhi-110066
Candidates appearing at the degree or equivalent examination are also eligible to compete. Such candidates will be required to submit the proof of passing the requisite qualifying examination by a date to be specified in the Commission’s Notice for the Examination.
Candidates should be physically fit as per the physical standards for admission to the Combined Defence Services Examination.
Candidates should know about the Exam pattern for Combined Defence Services Examination (II) 2016
Application Fee: Candidates (excepting Female /SC/ST candidates who are exempted from payment of fee) are required to pay a fee of Rs.200/- (Rupees two hundred only) either by depositing the money in any Branch of SBI by Cash, State Bank of Bikaner andJaipur/State bank of Hyderabad/State Bank of Mysore/State Bank of Patiala/State Bank of Travancore or by using Visa/Master Credit/Debit Card.
No fee exemption is, however, available to OBC candidates and they are required to pay the full prescribed fee.
Candidates should know about the paper Eligibility Conditions for Combined Defence Services Examination (II) 2016
Starting Date to Apply Online: 16th July 2016
Last Date for Submission of Applications: 12th August 2016 (by 11.59 PM)
Last Date for Payment of Fee through Offline: 11th August 2016 (by 23.59 hrs)
Last Date for Payment of Fee through Online: 12th August 2016 by 23:59 hrs
Availability of e-Admit Cards: 03 weeks before the Commencement of the Exam
Date of Written Examination: 23rd October 2016
Date of Declaration of Written Exam Results: December 2016
Date of SSB Interview: 04th week of February 2017 and 04th week of May 2017