Eligibility Criteria for NDA Written Exam
National Defence Academy is an iconic institution and hallmark of global excellence in the sphere of military education. Over the years it has emerged as a unique military academy, attracting the best of youth from our nation and also from friendly foreign countries and transforming them into officers and gentlemen. During the last six decades of its glorious existence, the National Defence Academy has grown both in grace and grandeur and from its portals have emerged ‘Leaders of Men’, who have demonstrated the essence of inter-services camaraderie and jointmanship thereby vindicating the faith and vision of its founding fathers. Apart from leaders of men, the alumni have proved to be great mountaineers, cosmonauts, sportsmen, researchers, creative writers, artists, corporate honchos and more recently, olympic champions. Their achievements are all pervading and showcased in every echelon of our Armed Forces and also in the civil society. The ‘Cradle’ has indeed rocked the nascent youth and groomed them into ‘Leaders’ who have lived up to its ethos: ‘Seva Paramo Dharma’ (Service Before Self).
Conditions of eligibility
- A candidate must either be
- Citizen of India
- Subject of Bhutan
- Subject of Nepal
- Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India. Provided that a candidate belonging to categories.
- Certificate of eligibility will not, however, be necessary in the case of candidates who are Gorkha subjects of Nepal
Age Limit, Sex and Marital Status
Only unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 02nd January 1998 and not later than 01st January 2001 are eligible.
Army Wing of National Defence Academy
12th class pass of the 10+2 pattern of school education or equivalent examination conducted by a state education board or a university
Air Force and Naval Wing of National Defence Academy and 10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme at the Indian Naval Academy
12th class pass of the 10+2 pattern of school education or equivalent with Physics and Mathematics conducted by a State Education Board or a University.
Candidates who are appearing in the 12th class under the 10+2 pattern of School Education or equivalent examination can also apply for this examination.
Those candidates who have yet to qualify in the 12th class or equivalent examination and are allowed to appear in the UPSC examination should note that this is only a special concession given to them.
They are required to submit proof of passing the 12th class or equivalent exam by the prescribed date and no request for extending this date will be entertained on the grounds of late conduct of Board/University Examination, delay in declaration of results or any other ground what so ever.
Exam dates and schedule
- Notification of Examination: September-October & May-June
- Conduct of Examination: March-April & August-September